12 January 2010

GAHHH Travel and No sleep! This is just torture!

Early in the morning we all had to get up and get ready for the LONG day of travel. I had to say goodbye to the family at the hotel because they were leaving out of Terminal 2 of CDG and I was out of Terminal 1. I took the next shuttle out of the hotel after the family, even though I wouldn't be able for 2 hours.

The shuttle ride was actually quite good. It was just myself and another girl. She was an Australian student going home to Melbourne from exchange in Lyon, France.

We get to the airport and find our flights and check in counters. I quickly realize my flight is one of two that is delayed. Crap. So I go and grab some breakfast at the cafe downstairs and then return upstairs and sit next to the counter that I will be allowed to check in at in 2 hours.

My favorite part was the awesome coffee ad next to me based on the mythical story of Romulus and Reamus. I felt very academic (or like a Jeopardy champ) since I knew what it was. Also there was this American man that stated quite loudly in front of his wife and children, who were only about 10 is, "WOW now that's an ad. I wonder what it's for!" I just giggled to myself





This is the line I really should have been sitting in but instead I decided to sit at the pillar so I would have something to lean against.



I'm Bored! Damn you delays!!!!



the airport was all Christmasy still. The inner section was made to look like a big snow globe (I was too tired to go get a photo sorry) But here is a red Christmas tree at one of the entrances as consolation!


I was so bored I thought this would be an interesting picture. Clearly the travel and lack of sleep has gone to my head.



FINALLY I make it into line about 15-20 mins before they start letting people through. I check in and have to beg the lady to let me have 2 small carry ons (one was my back pack with broken Fernando and the other was my school bag with Anna's vinyl)

I then, as directed, proceed quickly through security and to my gate. Where I then hang out for another 2 hours and text Finland and Poland (Anna and Magda) in a desperate attempt to keep from just running away and never returning home.

Here is the most depressed waiting area at a gate I have ever seen:

After a VERY long delay they start to board my flight and by board I mean manually check every passengers carry on luggage and then frisk/wand each person before heading to the breeze way. I was in section 3 seating meaning I was the penultimate female on the plane (they had more woman than men in the final boarding check area).

The flight itself had very strict rules. No under seat storage at all, everything must go overhead. No one can get out of their seat, there is no map, no blanket or pillows or electronics, no nothing for the first and last hour of the flight.

During the flight my stuff was stuffed into an overhead I was far to afraid of opening for fear everything would fall upon my head. So I didn't instead I watched Love Happens, Finding Nemo, half of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and 2 episodes of Mad Men.

When I arrived in Chicago it was the first time I had no problems with customs. Usually I get partially questioned before picking up my bags but this time it was a have a nice day ma'am. I was so glad. I was fighting REALLY hard to stay awake and fight through the need for sleep.

In Chicago I was supposed to have a 5 hour layover which was reduced to 3 when I was delayed leaving Paris then extended when it turned out my flight to Boise was delayed 30-45 mins. Balls.

In O'Hare I got some pizza and tea with ginsing (I REALLY want to sleep at this point) I also decided that it is ridiculous for my brother or dad to come and pick me up at the airport when they only get home an hour before me. So I make a few calls and arrange for one of my best friends, Keela, to come and pick me up instead.

While waiting in the airport I have a nice chat with a family from Caldwell trying to get a seat on the flight and an annoying man from god knows where traveling to Boise for a business trip. He really wasn't very pleasant and he was staring at my boobs which sleep deprived Lauren REALLY doesn't appreciate or want to deal with. Then annoying man was questioning me about Boise, school France etc. He really was trying hard to chat me up.

Finally we board the flight and I promptly buckle my seatbelt and pass out.

**insert 2 hours of bad sleep**

I awoke completely confused as to where I was and what was going on because a baby the next row up and over decided to make the most awful noise I have ever heard in my life. Imagine nails on a chalk board mixed with a screeching steam pipe mixed with a animal dying. I really can't explain in words how terrible it was.

That lasted the last hour of the flight.

We actually landed in Boise a bit early (I have no idea how) so I call keela and tell her to get ready and come meet me. I get off the plane and head towards baggage claim, where I see Trey McIntyre! I was so excited and the first thought in my head is "how do I look!?!" and then "Crap I look awful, I wonder if he recognizes me. No that's ridiculous, however he has seen some of my work, I wonder if he's coming home too or just picking that really hot guy up, damn he's probably gay. Just my luck..."

I have to explain that it is now 7-8 am in my bio clock so I am WIDE awake, but I am also really tired so the crazy, hyper, random Lauren comes out. As my friends would say the mental filter is removed and I say things I would normally never say let alone think, but I am so tired that it seems like a good idea when I say it.

Then I wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait...you get the picture

I had to wait 40 mins for my baggage! that is kinda silly since the airport isn't that big and there were only 3 flights that had come in recently.

A little after midnight Boise local time I meet Keela out front of the airport (Trey is long gone by now) and I head home and try to sleep (I failed I slept from about 2 am to about 6 am). But I was home and had work to do! (unpack and then re pack)


Thus ends the great adventure of Lauren in France, for now at least (don't stop reading though I have a few more posts left by request of Dan)


PS Discotronic made it home fine and all the way to California as well

No comments:

Post a Comment