10 January 2010

All I want is Euskadi for Christmas mom!

On Tuesday December 22 after checking out of Ango and heading to Paris I took the metro over to Gare Montparnasse where I was to meet my family at the ticket office before getting on the train. I told them before I left them Saturday that just in case I can't get to Paris or don't meet them then they should just get on the train and go to Donostia without me.

Well I arrive just fine with a couple of hours to go before getting on the train and they aren't there, they still aren't there. So I walk around to a couple of the other ticket offices like the one for the metro. I still can't find them. Finally our platform number comes up and I had decided worst case Ontario I would meet them on the train. So I go and find our car and seats. they're not there. Panic mode begin... then out the window I see my mom walking around quite panicked and confused. I run to the open car door in the direction she walked and yell out. They all get on the train and I show them our seats. They had found a ticket office on the floor above that was not the one I meant. However we all made it and had a nice train ride through France ahead of us.

The train ride itself is about 5.5 hours from Paris to Hendaye then another half hour from Hendaye to Donostia on the Euskotren.

We finally arrived in a drizzly Donostia (San Sebastian for the non Basques) around 10:30pm and found our Hotel quicker than we had expected. Unfortunately the lady working the night shift did not speak any english so I had to act as translator. Then she got the owner on the phone who lived in New York for 6 years and speaks perfect english and she gave me the rest of the instructions in english.

We all promptly passed out of exhaustion in an ADORABLE pension (hotel) in Donostia. Not so bad, I think.


The next morning we awoke and were met by the owner's mother who lives upstairs and sometimes works in the office, Carmen (Marie Carmen). She doesn't really speak any English as well so she talked to me and then I would translate to the family. She recommended a couple of places for breakfast, we decided on the one by the cathedral in the heart of the city.

The day itself was rather gloomy but we had hope that it would get better, we were wrong.
After a wonderful breakfast of brioche a la plancha con marmalada (broche bread grilled and
smothered in marmalade) and cafe con leche we headed to the cathedral to take a couple of photos.



In the church there were these amazingly cute nativity scenes made by the children of the town










Here is the table for Mass in the Cathedral. Notice all the different languages, we went to the Basque service at 11 for Christmas.



After seeing the church we went for a walk around the city



then it started pouring rain and we decided to walk to the point and then run for cover in the local mall thing.







Matt, Matt the water rat!


We were being silly



the parents



In the mall was many very interesting stores like the Hello Kitty store and the Nerdy Live gamer store (for kids to make and play with D&D stuff) to a market in the basement.





After going to the market we went for lunch in a Lonley Plant recommended place and got some delicious traditional food.

kids in Europe still rollerblade, that's cool.



After passing out in the hotel for a bit we decided to go and eat some dinner Basque style meaning pintxo bars. This is where we met Leire the owner of the pension. She quickly became family for us. She lived 6 years in the US for high school and college. She speaks Spanish, Basque and English perfectly (maybe more I don't know). She is an advisor to the mayor of the city and works harder than anyone I know. The pension gave us a map with some recommended places to go, but first we went the long way along the beach.






The first place we went was a very local sort of place, my dad describes it as a Cheers bar where everyone seemed to know eachother. In these sorts of places they keep the cold pintxos on the bar and then you can order hot ones from the bartenders. The second place was a bit trendier but not really in a American definition of trendy.



I don't know what spawned this look but I find it funny


so did Matt



The next morning (Christmas Eve) we went to a more brasserie sort of place for breakfast and my coffee made a monster. I was excited.



The day was BEAUTIFUL! it was so warm we had to go back to the pension and take off some of our clothes. It was around 18 degrees Celsius.



This is Christmas Eve in Spain, Pelota on the Beach



And a morning swim



The symbol of Donostia




He was so over my paparazzi shenanigans



So I became artsy instead






All the families were dressed up in their traditional outfits these two kids were ridiculously cute!



We walked along the beach over to the statues on the point











Tiny Crab!!!!






This older woman had 3 roses that she threw in the water I'm guessing as a memorial or tradition or something. The whole day I saw people carrying the roses towards the water.



All the covers had the city symbol on them



Then we decided to see if the funicular was running so we could go to the top and take photos of the whole city.








My favorite was the Casa del Terror









after going to the top we went back down to the beach and walked in the sand and collected shells and rocks etc






We decided to go to the city center and eat a large meal since nothing would be open for dinner than night. Christmas Eve is a family day in Europe and EVERYTHING is closed.

They wear color in this country!!!!



Throughout the whole city there were people dancing and singing in traditional costumes

here are a couple of videos






We decided to go to a paella place for lunch since my mom had never had it.




I got some fish as part of my menu as the appetizer for my menu



then I got some chocolate cake for dessert (like Amatxi cake)



City hall



in front of the cathedral there were cute sheep and geese in pens. They were really cute




I love this little boy a lot I wanted to take him home cause he was so cute



That night we ended up hanging out with another family from the US, Arizona to be precise. It was a bit of a twilight zone moment, they were there with their daughter who had been studying in Madrid. She was 20 years old and they had a son who was 23 years old, like Matt. They had the reverse path though. They were going from Donostia to Paris and we were Paris to Donostia. Leire had left Champagne and treats for us. There was also a couple from France that were staying the night and I was laughing with them about the snow and how the French go on strike.

After everyone dispersed the two kids from the other family, Matt and myself decided to try and find a bar and grab some drinks. Unfortunately EVERYTHING was closed and it started raining so we headed back.

The next morning we ate some pastries we had picked up the afternoon before and went for a walk along the water.















That afternoon we had reservations at a restaurant in the old part. It turned out to be an 8 course meal! It was awesome except the caviar risotto, which would have been delicious except for the caviar. It took us 3 hours to eat all the food and we couldn't even finish it.

After the meal we went for a walk down to the water






You can't tell but there are surfers in the water. Now that is the way to spend Christmas






That night we skyped our family at home and watched Spanish television.

The next morning we headed back to Paris and grabbed a shuttle to the airport and then a shuttle to the hotel.

In the hotel we had a small picnic of food for dinner (there were no kebab shops near, which was sad since I was seriously craving a Kebab frites avec samurai). I was super antsy so I grabbed Matt and we went on an adventure in the hotel.

First we stopped by the front desk to ask for a corkscrew, delivered to our door was a screwdriver. Apparently there was a bit of a colloquial language barrier in effect here. Therefore we couldn't get the wine bottle open and I was doubly sad.

Sunday morning we parted ways in the hotel lobby and proceeded on our adventures home.

1 comment:

  1. How dare you post such a photo of me! I am appalled I tell you,, appalled! Mom

    ReplyDelete